This is one of favorite desserts to make and eat. One of the reasons is because it is so versatile meaning you can change the base recipe to so many flavors. Just by changing the cake mix or the add ins, you can make this light and fluffy by making a lemon or blueberry version or even a little more hearty like pumpkin. Below is the base recipe as well as some of my favorite variations. This is the Paula Deen version of the recipe. If you haven’t tried this, I highly recommend it.
- 1 18¼-ounce package yellow cake mix
- 1 egg
- 16 tablespoons melted butter, divided
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 16-ounce box powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the cake mix, egg, and 8 T butter and mix well with an electric mixer. Press the mixture into the bottom of a lightly greased 9×13 baking pan.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the eggs, 8 T butter and vanilla and beat together.
- Next, add the powdered sugar and mix well. Spread over cake batter and bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Make sure not to over bake as the center should be a little gooey.
- VARIATIONS: spice cake mix and add a can of pumpkin for pumpkin gooey butter, chocolate cake mix and add a cup of peanut butter to the mix, white cake mix and a cup of strawberries or strawberry jam, white mix and add a batch of lemon curd to the top. I could go on and on with variations, but, I think you see where I am going with this. If you are going to make a variation, I recommend adding 1 cup of whatever to your cream cheese mix. Depending on what you add, it could alter the baking time, but be patient. I hope you have as much fun with this dessert as I do.